Iran fired as many as 15 ballistic missiles into Iraq, targeting U.S. military and coalition forces early Wednesday, officials said, in a major retaliation by the rogue regime after the U.S. airstrike that killed Iranian Quds Force Gen. Qassem Soleimani last week, reported Fox News.
Ten missiles hit Al-Assad Air Base, one missile hit a military base in Erbil and four missiles failed to hit their targets, according to a U.S. military spokesman for Central Command, responsible for American forces in the Middle East. The attacks unfolded in two waves, each about an hour apart. Initial assessments showed “no U.S. casualties,” a U.S. military official in Baghdad told Fox News.
President Donald Trump took to Twitter Tuesday evening to assure “all is well” and announced that he will be “making a statement Wednesday morning”.
“All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning,” the Commander in Chief wrote.
White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham tweeted after the attack: “We are aware of the reports of attacks on U.S. facilities in Iraq. The president has been briefed and is monitoring the situation closely and consulting with his national security team.”
The Pentagon also released a statement: “In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners. These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region. As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region.” (Continued Below)
Iran’s Revolutionary Guard warned the U.S. and its regional allies against retaliating over the missile attack in Iraq.
The Guard issued the warning via a statement carried by Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency: “We are warning all American allies, who gave their bases to its terrorist army, that any territory that is the starting point of aggressive acts against Iran will be targeted.” The Guard in the warning also threatened Israel.
Tuesday night’s attack came days after Soleimani was killed in a U.S. airstrike in Baghdad’s airport. The U.S. blamed Soleimani for the killing of hundreds of American troops and said he was plotting new attacks just before his death. (Video Below)
Last week the Commander in Chief warned Iran two days after eliminating Soleimoni writing: “Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!”
President Trump’s official tweet:
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Fox News’ National Security Correspondent Jennifer Griffin reports:
— The Dirty Truth “Josh” (@AKA_RealDirty) January 8, 2020
President Trump earlier on Tuesday called Soleimani a “monster”:
Earlier today: President @realDonaldTrump says Iran's Qasem Soleimani was a "monster."
Thanks to America, he's not a monster anymore, he's just dead. pic.twitter.com/FCiDi8asEv
— BlazeTV (@BlazeTV) January 8, 2020